by Parliamentary Opposition Leader, DAP Secretary-General and MP for Tanjung, Lim Kit Siang, in Petaling Jaya on Sunday, 1st March 1992:
DAP will openly call on the Chinese voters of Jerai to vote for the Barisan Nasional candidate on March 4 if the MCA could prove any one of its eight allegations of the ‘oppression’ and ‘persecution’ of the Chinese in Kelantan by the PAS-led State Government is true.
It most most regrettable that the MCA leaders have continued with their lies and falsehoods in the ‘Jerai’ parliamentary by-election in Kedah, accusing the DAP of being the defenders and apologists for the PAS-led Kelantan State Government.
DAP will openly call on the Chinese voters of Jerai to vote for the Barisal Nasional candidate on March 4 if the MCA could prove any one of its eight allegations of the ‘oppression’ and ‘persecution’ of the Chinese in Kelantan by the PAS-led State Government is true, namely:
1. the Chinese in Kelantan cannot eat or sell pork;
2. they cannot drink beer publicly but must ‘hide and drink’ stealthily;
3. they cannot buy or sell liquor;
4. they must stop business during Muslim prayers;
5. they cannot go to unisex saloons;
6. Chinese women must cover their heads and wear Islamic attire;
7. Chinese woman cannot work night shifts; and
8. Chinese business signboards must be taken down and re¬placed with Jawi characters.
Kit Siang offers to appear on Barisan Nasional by-election platform in Jerai to campaion for its candidate
In fact, if the MCA can produce proof for anyone of these eight allegations, I offer to appear on the MCA and Barisan Nasional by-election platform to campaign for the Barisan Nasional and ask the voters to vote for the Barisan Nasional in the by-election.
If the MCA cannot in the next two days prove that at least one of these eight MCA allegations about the ‘oppression’ and ‘persecution’ of the Chinese in Kelantan, then the MCA should have the political honesty and courage to publicly apologise for misleading the Malaysian Chinese and spreading lies and falsehoods in the Jerai by-election, and openly withdraw from the Barisan Nasional by-election campaign.