Tuan Yang di-Pertua, 15.12.1989
YB Tan Sri,
(1) Substantive motion under S.O. 43 to review decisions of Timbalan Yang di Pertua, Y.B. D.P. Vijandran in connection with the suspension of YB Karpal Singh on 11th December 1989 and YB P. Patto on 12th December 1989 over the allegation that YB Vijandran was himself actor in the pornographic video tapes scandal
(2) Motion to suspend YB Vijandran as Timbalan Yang di Pertua and to refer him to Committee of Privileges to protect the dignity and good name of all MPs and Dewan Rakyat
(3) Motion under S.O. 26(1) (m) to suspend S.O 27 (3) requiring two weeks notice for motion and S.O. 14(1) on the order of business to allow the House to debate immediately the motion to suspend YB Vijandran as Timbalan Deputy Speaker and to refer him to Committee of Privileges.
In view of the refusal yesterday by the Timbalan Yna g Di – Pertuan, YB Datuk Haji Mohamed Amin Daud, to allw me to move a motion under S.O. 26 (1) (p) to refer the Timbalan Yang di Pertua and MP for Kapar, YB D.P. Vijandran, to the Committee of Privileges, I herebt give notice to move two motions, one under S.O. 43 and another under S.O. 27 in connection with the serious allegation of YB Vijandran’s involvement, including actor, in the scandal of pornographic video tapes.
The motion under S.O 43 which requires two days’ notice, reads:
“That this House resolves to review the decision of te Timbalan Yang di-Pertua, YB D.P. Vijandran, to name the MP for Jelutong, YB Karpal Siangh, on December 11, 1989 and to name the MP for Ipoh, YB P. Patto, on December 12, 1989 in a matter in which the Timbalan Yang di Pertua is an interested party, namely the pornographic video tape scandal, where he himself was named by YB Karpal Singh as an actor;
RESOLVES that the naming by the Timbalan Yang di Pertua of YB Karpal Singh and YB P.Patto in a matter in which the Timbalan Yang di Pertua is an interested party shows bias, conflict of interest and violates the basic rules of natural justice; and
FURTHER RESOLVES that the suspensions of YB Karpal Singh and YB P.Patto were irregular and improper because of the abuse of S.O 44 (3) by YB D.P Vijandran as Timbalan Yang di Pertua.”
The motion under S.O. 27 reads as follows:
“CONSIDERING that very serious allegation about the involvement of the Timbalan Yang di Pertua and MP for Kapar, D.P. Vijandran, in the pornographic video taps scandal, including being an actor in those tapes, had been made by the MP for Jelutong, YB Karpal Singh in the House on December 11, 1989;
“CONSIDERING that the Timbalan Yang di Pertua concerned had not made any denial whatsoever of his involvement in the pornographic videotape scandal in this House up to this date;
“CONSIDERING that the pornographic videotape scandal involving the Timbalan Yang di Pertua has brought the House into gross disrepute and shame to all MPs, regardless of party;
(1) That this matter cannot be left in this indeterminate position which would do grave harm to the dignity and good name of the House and to all MPs;
(2) That the absence from the Chair and House on the part of YB D.P Vijandran since Wednesday, 13th December 1989, as instructed by the Cabinet, is no satisfactory solution;
(3) That the issue is no more the question of one person, but the dignity of the entire House;
(4) That the dignity and good name of the House and all MPs must be protected;
(1) TO SUSPEND with immediate effect the position of YB D.P Vijandran as Timbalan Yang di Pertua;
(2) TO REFER him to the Committee of Privileges for a full-scale investigation into the role of YB D.P. Vijandran in the pornographic videotape scandal.”
In view of the urgency and public importance of the issue, and to ensure that the dignity and credibility of the House does not suffer increasing erosion, I am asking for your consent under S.O. 90 (2) to move a motion under S.O. 26 (1) (m) to suspend S.O. 27 (3) requiring two weeks notice and S.O.14 (1) on the order of business so that the House can immediately debate and decide on the motion to suspend YB D.P. Vijandran as Timbalan Yang di Pertua and to refer him to the Committee of Privileges.
(Lim Kit Siang)