Archive for category Religious Polarisation

DAP welcomes Mahathir’s more open and enlightened attitude on nation-building in a multi-racial, multi-lingual, multi-religious and multi-cultural Malaysia which vindicates the DAP struggle for a Malaysian Malaysia in the past 29 years

Speech by Parliamentary Opposition Leader, DAP Secretary-General and MP for Tanjong, Lim Kit Siang, at the Bintulu DAP Branch August-Moon Dinner in Bintulu on Friday, 15th September 1995 at 8 p.m.

DAP welcomes Mahathir’s more open and enlightened attitude on nation-building in a multi-racial, multi-lingual, multi-religious and multi-cultural Malaysia which vindicates the DAP struggle for a Malaysian Malaysia in the past 29 years

I welcome the prime minister, Datuk Seri Dr. Mahathir Mohamed’s more open and enlightened attitude on nation-building in a multi-racial, multi-lingual, multi-religious and multi-cultural Malaysia which vindicates the DAP struggle for a Malaysian Malaysia in the past 29 years. Read the rest of this entry »

Samy Vellu should discipline the MIC Assemblyman for Prai, V. Muthusamy not only for his failure to speak up in the Penang State Assembly over tactless police handling of the Butterworth Sri Mariamman Temple fire-walking ceremony incident on May 23, but in distorting the incident and insulting the Hindu devotees

Speech by Parliamentary Opposition Leader, DAP Secretary-General and MP for Tanjong, Lim Kit Siang, at a DAP Tanjong 3 Ceramah held at Rumah Hijau Mak Mandin in Butterworth on Thursday, 16th June 1994 at 8 p.m.

Samy Vellu should discipline the MIC Assemblyman for Prai, V. Muthusamy not only for his failure to speak up in the Penang State Assembly over tactless police handling of the Butterworth Sri Mariamman Temple fire-walking ceremony incident on May 23, but in distorting the incident and insulting the Hindu devotees

MIC President, Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu should ask the MIC Assemblyman for Prai, V. Muthusamy, to show cause why disciplinary action should not be taken against him not only for his failure to speak up in the Penang State Assembly over tactless and insensitive police handling of the Butterworth Sri Mariamman Temple fire-walking ceremony incident on May 23, but in distorting the incident and insulting the Hindu devotees who took part in the ceremony and procession. Read the rest of this entry »

MCA and Gerakan should declare whether they endorse the stand taken by Mahathir on PAS Hudud Law

by Parliamentary Opposition Leader, DAP Secretary-General and MP for Tanjung, Lim Kit Siang, in Petaling Jaya on Saturday, March 12, 1934:

MCA and Gerakan should declare whether they endorse the stand taken by Mahathir on PAS Hudud Law

Yesterday, the Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Dr. Mahathir Mohamad said that the Government would accept the Hudud Law drawn up by PAS only if the Islamic religious experts say it is really in line with Islamic teachings. Read the rest of this entry »

Penang State Government and MPPP should allow the restoration of the Kuan Yin statue at Kek Lok Si to its original 121 ft in keeping with a more open and liberal political situation in the 1990s

Speech by Parliamentary Opposition Leader, DAP Secretary-General and MP for Tanjung, Lim Kit Siang, at the Penang DAP State Committee Chinese New Year gathering held at DAP Penang headquarters at Kinta Lane, Penang on Saturday, 19th February 1994 at 8 p.m.

Penang State Government and MPPP should allow the restoration of the Kuan Yin statue at Kek Lok Si to its original 121 ft in keeping with a more open and liberal political situation in the 1990s

Penang DAP calls on the Penang State Government and the MPPP to allow to restoration of the Kuan Yin statue at Kek Lok Si to its original 121 ft in keeping with a more open and liberal political situation in the 1990s. Read the rest of this entry »

DAP deplores Kota Baru Municipal Council action which tried to prevent the Chinese community from celebrating the Chinese New Year at the Kelantan Chinese Chamber of Commerce

by Parliamentary Opposition Leader, DAP Secretary-General and MP for Tan Jung, Lim Kit Siang, in Penang on Saturday, February 12, 1994:

DAP deplores Kota Baru Municipal Council action which tried to prevent the Chinese community from celebrating the Chinese New Year at the Kelantan Chinese Chamber of Commerce

DAP deplores the Kota Baru Municipal Council action which tried to prevent the Chinese community from celebrating the Chinese New Year at the Kelantan Chinese Chamber of Commerce on the Chinese New Year Eve. Read the rest of this entry »

Selangor Mentri Besar setting a bad example in interfering and stopping the construction of a cathedral in Shah Alam

By Parliamentary Opposition Leader, DAP Secretary-General and MP for Tanjung, Lim Kit Siang, in Petaling Jaya on Thursday, August 19, 1993:

Selangor Mentri Besar setting a bad example in interfering and stopping the construction of a cathedral in Shah Alam

The Selangor Mentri Besar, Tan Sri Muhammad Haji Muhammad Taib, is setting a bad example in interfering and stopping the construction of a cathedral in Shah Alam. Read the rest of this entry »

DAP calls on the Prime Minister to end the frequent ‘disputes over corpses’ which can only undermine national unity and destroy the family unit as the most important basis of Malaysian society

by Parliamentary Opposition Leader, DAP Secretary- General and MP for Tanjung, Lim Kit Siang, in Petaling Jaya on Wednesday, May 8, 1991:

DAP calls on the Prime Minister to end the frequent ‘disputes over corpses’ which can only undermine national unity and destroy the family unit as the most important basis of Malaysian society.

The dispute over the corpse of RTM producer, Lee Siew Kee, between his family and the Federal Territory Religious Department entered the seventh day today. Read the rest of this entry »

If Barisan Nasional Government regards itself as Government for only the 52 per cent of the electorate who voted for it in recent general elections, then it should stop collecting taxes and dues from the other 48 per cent who did not vote for it

Speech by DAP Secretary-General, MP for Tanjung and Assemblyman for Padang Kota, Lim Kit Siang, on the Motion of Thanks for the Royal Address in the Dewan Rakyat on Wednesday, 5th December 1990

If Barisan Nasional Government regards itself as Government for only the 52 per cent of the electorate who voted for it in recent general elections, then it should stop collecting taxes and dues from the other 48 per cent who did not vote for it

I rise to participate in the debate on the Motion of Thanks to His Majesty, the Yang di Pertuan Agong, for his Gracious Speech at the official opening of the first meeting of the first session of the Eighth Parliament yesterday. Read the rest of this entry »

Lim Kit Siang clarifies Watan Report on 21st October 1990 on ‘addin’ and ‘ketuanan Melayu’

By Parliamentary Opposition Leader, DAP Secretary-General and MP for Tanjung, Lim Kit Siang, in Petaling Jaya on Tuesday, 21st October 1990.

Lim Kit Siang clarifies Watan Report on 21st October 1990 on ‘addin’ and ‘ketuanan Melayu’

I wish to clarify the Watan front-page report today dated 21st October 1990 stating that in an interview with Watan, I stated that the DAP accepted Islam as ‘addin’ as being fought for by Angkatan Perpaduan Umah and that the DAP accepted ‘ketuanan Melayu’. Read the rest of this entry »

DAP’s door is always open to all like-minded and idealistic Malaysians regardless of race and religion to effect the great political change within the reach of Malaysians for the first time in the 33 years

Speech by Parliamentary Opposition Leader, DAP Secretary-General and MP for Tanjung, Lim Kit Siang, when closing the Penang DAP genera1elections procedure seminar held at Town House Hotel, Penang on Sunday, August 5, 1990.

DAP’s door is always open to all like-minded and idealistic Malaysians regardless of race and religion to effect the great political change within the reach of Malaysians for the first time in the 33 years.

Recently, there have been press reports about Chinese educationists and activists of Chinese organisations joining the DAP Read the rest of this entry »